On Linux, it is possible to build the Android simulator, which runs many
parts of the platform in a single Unix process (so no real security for
you), doesn't use the custom C library, etc...

if you don't want to go this route, you will need to patch your kernel to
integrate a few Android-specific things like the Binder driver.
second, Android expects system files in different places, comes with its own
init program and scripts, etc...

running the whole of Android on top of a standard Linux installation will be
a lot of work with probably few benefits. You should probably try to get the
Dalvik VM running first on Ubuntu plus some of the system libraries that
don't depend too much on Android-specific behaviour.