It is very simple:

First, make sure you have connectivity to the zoom. Ping the ip address.
Next, type the command as follows (with appropriate changes):

ADBHOST=ip_address adb kill-server
ADBHOST=ip_address adb shell

If using ethernet over usb, the zoom/OMAP USB gadget driver has an odd
requirement. When you use ifconfig to setup the ip address on the zoom,
you have to specify "up" on the ifconfig command. So in init.rc you'd
have something like:

## Configure the USB interface
##
service usb-ether /system/bin/ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.202 up
    oneshot

If you are using the ethernet port, then you'll have to set it up
appropriately. Again, if you can ping you should be OK.

Cheers,
Sean