You can refer to
http://groups.google.com/group/android-porting/browse_thread/thread/b82e3d087fb33921/
for
alsa support although it's not specifically for x86.

The kernel driver is enough to support both kinds of sound devices. Actually
both of them are use intel-hda driver.
What you need is the libaudio.so in usersapce, which connect your driver to
Android AudioFlinger. The libaudio.so can be implemented with different
ways.
One is to use alsa lib, which has been uploaded to Android projects (Check
http://android.git.kernel.org/). The platform/external/alsa-lib.git is the
userspace alsa lib and it will talk with your kernel driver. The
platform/hardware/alsa_sound.git is the layer to connect alsa-lib to Android
AudioFlinger. It will derive a class from AudioHardwareInterface and
generate libaudio.so.
Another way is use emulated OSS API provided by Alsa driver. That way is
simpler but not in the Andoird projects now. I used this way.

By default, the audio on x86 or the Eeepc_701 is not enabled in userspace.
See the Boardconfig.mk in vendor/asus/eee_701, there is a definition
BOARD_USE_GENERIC_AUDIO := true. You need to set it to false to enable the
real Audio. Then you will encountered problems when you build image. The
audioflinger needs libaudio.so, which should be created by the
alsa_sound. You can follow to solve them one by one.

Thanks
Jackie (Weihua) Wu