Alsa build doesn't include or create asound.conf file. You have to put one
by yourself and alsa.conf is different from asound.conf. If you are sure
about the alsa device files getting created with proper permissions
(/dev/snd/*), you can try alsa_mixer with -c option giving card number
explicitely.

--
Ravishankar Haranath
http://www.linmaya.net

We should be taught not to wait for inspiration to start a thing. Action
always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action.
 - Frank Tibolt