Quote fadden:
> " http://source.android.com/download
>
> UbuntuLinux (64-bitx86)
>
> $ sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential
> zip curl sun-java5-jdk zlib1g-dev gcc-multilib g++-multilib libc6-dev-
> i386 lib32ncurses5-dev ia32-libs x11proto-core-dev libx11-dev
> lib32readline5-dev lib32z-dev
>
> Note the last entry.  (I'm not sure when that was added.) "

I thought about it and I was incorrect in my first post. I copy and
pasted that exact line, but it was still not finding a usable libz.so.
I installed the lib32z1 package which contains the 32-bit libz.so
compression driver and it compiled. The page does not specify to
download the lib32z1 package itself. I think it will convert lib32z-
dev to lib32z1-dev, but the line does not specify to install the
standard library, just the development files. And lib32z1 is NOT a
dependency of lib32z1-dev, hence not automatically installed by apt-
get when the development files are called.

The line should read something like this, and the command needs to be
an exact quote:

# Start text

Ubuntu Linux (64-bit: x86 build)

The following addition packages need to be downloaded for a *Ubuntu 64-
bit to x86 cross compile. Copy and paste the following line into a
terminal after the x86 build dependencies have been installed:

$ sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential
zip curl sun-java5-jdk zlib1g-dev gcc-multilib g++-multilib libc6-dev
i386 lib32ncurses5-dev ia32-libs x11proto-core-dev libx11-dev
lib32readline5-dev lib32z1-dev lib32z1

# END

Sorry for the miscommunication!
JB Dyn