You can enable alpha blending in your display driver, so both graphics
and video overlay blend..

my call sequence for this are like (get fb handle, toggle alpha
blending, set the fb options)

        v4l2_ioctl(fd, VIDIOC_G_FBUF, &fbuf);
        fbuf.flags |= V4L2_FBUF_FLAG_GLOBAL_ALPHA;
        v4l2_ioctl(fd, VIDIOC_S_FBUF, &fbuf);

more info:
http://v4l2spec.bytesex.org/spec/r10595.htm -> framebuffer flags ->
V4L2_FBUF_FLAG_GLOBAL_ALPHA