Hi ms12,

We created a setup where a 3G mobile broadband dongle works as telephony
backend for Android Eclaire (without voice calls of course). It sounds similar
to what you guys are doing.

I believe that implementing an ip-up script in /system/etc/ppp will make things
work:

/system/etc/ppp/ip-up should contain something like this:

/system/bin/setprop "net.interfaces.defaultroute" "gprs"
/system/bin/setprop "net.gprs.dns1" "$DNS1"
/system/bin/setprop "net.gprs.dns2" "$DNS2"
/system/bin/setprop "net.gprs.local-ip" "$IPLOCAL"
/system/bin/setprop "net.gprs.remote-ip" "$IPREMOTE"
/system/bin/setprop "net.gprs.gw" "$IPREMOTE"

This script will run every time PPP sets up a connection and provide Android
with the correct gateway, dns, etc. To check that it actually ran, I added the
following:

/system/bin/log -t pppd "IP-UP TRACE for gprs"
/system/bin/log -t pppd "DNS1 $DNS1"
/system/bin/log -t pppd "DNS2 $DNS2"
/system/bin/log -t pppd "local-ip $IPLOCAL"
/system/bin/log -t pppd "remote-ip $IPREMOTE"
/system/bin/log -t pppd "gw $IPREMOTE"

..which will throw useful information into logcat output.

You can also make a /system/etc/ip-down script to change things back the way
they were (if you have multiple ways of connecting to the internet).

But how do you initiate the PPP connection? Via Android RIL or just via init? I
am unsure of whether Android will understand that it has a GPRS packet data
connection without proper handling in the RIL (I don't know if setting the
above properties is sufficient)...

You should be aware that in later Android releases you need some security hacks
to allow the RIL to spawn the PPP process (which must run as root), and you
need some tweaky plumbing to ensure proper interaction between RIL & PPP during
handling of RIL_REQUEST_SETUP_DATA_CALL...

Let me know how you get along with this.

- Henrik