Here are the possible scneario's, assuming you have NAND and SD card.

1) Bootloaders, Kernel and RFS on NAND, so you boot entirely without an SD card
2) Bootloaders, Kernel on NAND, RFS on SD card
3) Bootloaders on NAND, Kernel on VFAT partition and RFS on EXT3
partiion of SD card
4) Bootloaders, Kernel on VFAT partition and RFS on EXT3 partition of SD card

So without knowing what you have access to, it's hard to to tell us
which way for you to go. If you have everything you need except the
RFS on NAND, then the SD cards makes perfect sense..

Regards
-- Ashwin