Hi Ashwin,

You do not give many details here, so without even knowing which device we are
talking about, it is hard to give you any advice.

To update Android, you basically have a few important components:

1. Linux kernel
2. Android's filesystem - home of all system code, apps, media, etc.

How these things are stored in a device varies vastly from device to device.
Some have it stored on a memory card as a plan linux kernel image file +
ramdisk and then the Android filesystem in a real filesystem. Others store all
these inside NAND flash in dedicated YAFFS2 partitions. You could even store
these things on a harddrive if you like.

The only thing in Android relating to update would be the fastboot protocol
which is a way to transfer images from a host system (a PC) to the device for
flashing which is supported by many Android devices. It is well documented
online, but it does not seem like it is in play for your device.

As I said - more information please :-)

---
Henrik Uhrenfeldt
Chief Software Engineer