Hi Henrik,

I was just trying to see what others are using to perform upgrade on
devices that aren't cell-phones and so on..

My device holds the Boot loaders (X-Loader and U-Boot) in NAND, the
Kernel and Android RFS are stored on an eMMC that contains 2
partitions (FAT32 and EXT3). Our client has asked us to allow for an
upgraded Android image to be stored on a USB Flash drive. One the
flash drive is inserted into the device, an application would be run
to transfer do the upgrade. We can't upgrade Android while it is
actively running and that left us to wonder how Android on cell-phone
do the updates when OTA isn't an option.

That led us down the path of the manual upgrade described on a variety
of phones using the SD card and the update.zip file. But the way to
trigger this upgrade involves turning the phone on with a particular
key pressed and then using a D-pad to scroll to a specific option and
then choosing to do the upgrade. We basically want to mimic all of
that and set the trigger for the upgrade or something and then reboot
the device which will, hopefully, cause Android to do the upgrade and
end up booting into the new image..

We are basically open to any scheme possible with the knowledge that
it needs to be done from an Android application and a USB flash
drive..

Regards
-- Ashwin