Hi Pankaj,

There's not much difference.
The Android kernel code has been removed from the main kernel tree as of the
2.6.33 kernel release

The Android code was in the main kernel tree before 2.6.33 kernel release
but no one cared about the code, so it was removed. Then google had taken
over this code.
Google has taken the Linux kernel, and nothing else from a traditional Linux
system, and created a portable and robust phone platform.  What this means
now is:

Drivers written for Android hardware platforms, can not get merged into the
main kernel tree because they have dependencies on code that only lives in
Google's kernel tree, causing it to fail to build in the kernel tree.
Because of this, Google has now prevented a large chunk of hardware drivers
and platform code from ever getting merged into the main kernel tree.

Hope that gives you some insight of what has happened.

Regards,

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Subramani Venkatesh <subbu31m...@gmail.com