The software decoders don't use multiple buffers because there is no
benefit since the decoders run synchronously.

For hardware decoders, you specify the number of buffers during the
OMX negotiation. We have used anywhere from 4 to 12 buffers depending
on the specific codec (AVC usually needs more) and the hardware
capabilities.