I have an android system that could output to a VGA screen in 800x600
resolution. However when I install some existing apps, I notice that
most of the apps can only be displayed in a very small window in the
top center of the screen (like a cellphone screen resolution), instead
of full screen.

I wonder how people get around this issue. I mean, there are a lot of
android tablets and netbooks and I believe their screen resolution
should be more than what is on the cellphone. How do they get all the
android apps to display on the full screen?