Thanks for the follow up Xavier -
Things are a little clearer now...

So first off, to answer your question - we are currently doing
internal development where we are working against a 'tweaked' android
platform (r8). The reason for the tweaks is basically to accommodate
some unique hardware features of a device under development that don't
quite mesh with some of the stock android APIs. This is not really
'add-on' behavior (as is seen in something like the google mapping
api) but rather a drop-in replacement to get some specific behavior.

That being said, one of our ultimate goals if of course to achieve
full compatibility through the application of the CDD/CTS so we'll
have to look at how we can achieve that goal. If you have any
suggestions, I'm all ears ;)

Back to the issue at hand though, so to accommodate our internal
development, am I correct in assuming that we must rebuild the SDK/AVD
manager using a custom URL that will replace the current constant in
SdkRepoContants as indicated below:

  29     /** The URL of the official Google sdk-repository site. */\r
  30     public static final String URL_GOOGLE_SDK_SITE =\r
  31         "https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/
repository/";                        //$NON-NLS-1$\r

And of course, publish a repository.xml that conforms to the schema
(#3) to exposes our platform/samples/docs etc?

Thanks again for your assistance.
Todd