This isn't my area, so I can't give much detail, but the source for the
recovery system (which is what installs OTA updates) is here:

http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/bootable/recovery.git;a=tree

The basic idea I believe is that there is a separate recovery partition with
a minimal Linux kernel that is able to apply OTA updates (usually downloaded
to /cache) on to the main kernel and system partitions.

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 11:43 PM, David Lynch Jr. <dh...@dlasys.net> wrote:

>   I am bringing up android on a new device. There is a requirement to
> be
> able to update, the bootloader, Linux, the rootfs, ... as needed over
> the net.
>        Before I start re-inventing the wheel, I am trying to check if
> there is
> a standard way of managing systems updates.
>        I have tried googling, but can not come up with keywords that do
> not
> bring up all unrelated topics.
> --
> Dave Lynch                                                  DLA Systems
> Software Development:                                    Embedded Linux
> 717.587.7774           dh...@dlasys.net    http://www.dlasys.net
> Over 25 years' experience in platforms, languages, and technologies too
> numerous to list.
>
> "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It
> takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite
> direction."
> Albert Einstein

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer