Okay,
I kept digging further and finally found that my driver is going to XRUNs
whenever I try to load any piece of audio .

when my board completed booting, the params look like:

#cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/status
state: PREPARED
owner_pid   : 1055
trigger_time: 0.000000000
tstamp      : 10.809844973
delay       : 0
avail       : 2048
avail_max   : 0
-----
hw_ptr      : 0
appl_ptr    : 0

But when android tries to play the booting sound, it immediately changes to
the following. And is not able to recover .

#cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/status
state: XRUN
owner_pid   : 1055
trigger_time: 30.074615484
tstamp      : 39.793883833
delay       : 0
avail       : 2048
avail_max   : 2083
-----
hw_ptr      : 2048
appl_ptr    : 2048

I am using Android RowBoat version and I am not sure if it is a known issue
or has some_fix_I_did_not_adapt.

any ideas?

Thanks & regards
Murali