Yes, this patch applies only to 2.2, and 2.3 has indeed some serious
modifications: both files have been moved around, and the structure of
framework has changed. I'm facing the same issue. If you google about
it and read some log pasted on pastebin.com, you will see that we are
not the only ones to face this same issue.

I have tested both with a single touch and multi touch devices, I see
that touchscreens are recognised but there is no event going up. I've
started to read the code but I haven't figured out yet the problem.

It would be great if Google could publish a how-to upgrade from Froyo
to Gingerbread... in order to highlight the differences.

Anyway, in this special case, it would be great if we can get some
hints where we should investigate the problem,

Grégoire