Hi, Magic List,

Could you tell me the minimal system server to display a GUI "desktop"?  by
desktop, i mean the "HOME" activity, wallpaper , and launcher stuffs, which are
basic.

Here is my story. We are bringing up a prototype of android system basing on
cupcake. In current stage, we just want to verify our SoC is functional enough
to port full-fledged android. now we are ready to LCDC driver. i made up a
virtual power manager driver in kernel so PowerManager hadn't complain.
nowadays, I started the System Server with SurfaceFlinger can see a big word
"ANDROID" flashing.

I observed the 1st activity (HOME process?) had been started. but it died soon.
 ActivityManager processed a MSG named "PROC_START_TIMEOUT_MSG".
more information are dumped in the following log. what's the meaning of "failed
to attach". attach what? it's worth noting that system server doesn't die with
PID344 by now. the animation of "ANDROID" is still moving and "shell" is
usable. What's the state of system server now?

I/ActivityManager(  310): Starting activity: Intent {
action=android.intent.action.MAIN categories={android.intent.category.HOME}
flags=0x10000000 comp={com.android.launcher/com.android.launcher.Launcher}
D/ActivityManager(  310): Start running!
I/Zygote  (  310): Process: zygote socket opened
I/ActivityManager(  310): Start proc android.process.acore for activity
com.android.launcher/.Launcher: pid=344 uid=10000 gids={}
I/ActivityManager(  310): startProcessLocked pid >0
W/ResourceType(  310): No package identifier when getting value for resource
number 0x00000000
W/StatusBar(  310): Icon not found in <system>: 0
W/ActivityManager(  310): Process ProcessRecord{2e5b9a48
344:android.process.acore/10000} failed to attach
I/Process (  310): Sending signal. PID: 344 SIG: 9
E/power   (  310): Failed setting last user activity: g_error=0
W/ActivityManager(  310): goingToSleep with no resumed activity!

Do the warnings of ResourceTypes and StatusBar matter? can anybody give me a
hint why PID344 died? i made up the pm(power manager) in kernel. I'm not sure
PowerManager is functional in android. does it matter?

i enlist an intuitive list of minimal system server to display a GUI, please do
me a favor to comment on it.

1) ActivityManager
2) PowerManger
3) PackageManger
4) Window Manager
5) Surfaceflinger
6) Audio flinger -- i removed it before, but StatusBar need it to draw volume.
7) Launcher.apk
8) Settings.apk and SettingsProvider.apk

by the way, ActivityManagerService(AM) and PowerManagerService(PM) are too
involved. could anybody kind give me helpful text to explain its mechanism?

Thanks,
--lx