I suggest you try to get to the minimal set by experimenting with emulator.
 It will shorten your time greatly - no need to flash to the device, just
start up the emulator.

That being said, you could simply remove product packages to get down to the
minimal set.  Checkout the make files in android/build/target/product/.  The
make file for the emulator is generic.mk.  I would eliminate most of those
packages, and most of core.mk for that matter.

Once you get the minimal package, I suppose you could go deeper and remove
at a more fine grained level, but given your stated goal, it may not be
worth your time.