On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 7:06 AM, freakingtux <kees.jongenbur...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to understand how to deploy and use the different Android
> platform make targets.
>
> I am working with the following cases:
> Case-1) I will need to make small modifications to the standard Android
> APIs or code
> Case-2) I will want to add new APIs next to the existing Android APIs
> Case-3) I will want third parties to be able to develop using those APIs
> under Windows and Linux
> Case-4) I will want to be able to build targeting real hardware.
>
> Android globally supports the following targets
> Target-1) Creating a SDK. In This contains the basic tools like the
> emulator binary and the SDK updater
> Target-2) Creating a platform-x delivery (android.jar + emulator image and
> such) (in 2.2. this is part of the make sdk target)
> Target-3) Creating a SDK-addon (vendor.jar + and emulator image)
> Target-4) Creating a build targeting real hardware.
>
> The questions I really have is about the relationship between the SDK-addon
> and a platform-x delivery.
>
> When I create an sdk-addon it gets delivered with full emulator images but
> no "android.jar". How does that work?

add-ons are for stuff that add to the platform (hence the name). They
correspond to case-2 and case-3 in your list.
They don't come with android.jar, which is specific to a given platform API.

> Should I run CTS on the sdk-addon?

The CTS is supposed to perform platform-specific tests, and ignore
additionnal vendor-specific APIs. However, it is run against a working
system image (which may include add-ons, but that's not the point).

Note: If you provide a custom android.jar, chances are that you will not
pass the CTS (depending on the modifications you made to the platform).

> What is the real difference between this sdk-addon and a platform?
>
> The platform is what _every_ Android application can expect to use. If you
break the API, some applications will not be able to run properly.

> Is it correct I can not create a AVD with multiple sdk-addons combined?

An AVD provides a system image. Said system image could provide anything,
including the APIs of multiple add-ons. However, on the development side, I
don't think you can build against multiple-addons at once.

If like expected in Case-1 and Case-2 I make changes to the Android platform
> do I need to delivery a new SDK so people
> can develop it or can I somehow decouple the delivery of a platform and the
> sdk?

I think it is possible to make the SDK tools point to a custom repository of
platform images, but I don't remember the details.

How can I ensure the different target builds match?