Hi,

On Apr 25, 4:25 pm, Dudero <sinfanh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I would like to get more background for the "vchanneld"-daemon - what
> is the benefit of virual-channels?

The vchanneld is probably a 3GPP 27.010 multiplexer protocol daemon
(http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/specs/html-info/27010.htm)

It allows multiple virtual channels to be multiplexed on one physical
channel like a UART or USB. This is very usefull for having
simultaneous control and data streams. You can have a look at a
reference implementation here:
http://git.omapzoom.org/?p=platform/hardware/ti/omap3.git;a=tree;f=gsm0710muxd;h=188ea9f9f0fcabf7adb036f7e9dbb595e1fbf74c;hb=gingerbread

> Is a "vchanneld"-daemon optional or is the "rild"-daemon alone not
> enough?

If you want simultaneous control and data, and do not have two or more
physical channels to your modem, then a multiplexer is needed.

Best regards,
 Mikkel Christensen
 Ixonos Plc.