Same problem here.

Using adb logcat for main, I read the following log:

E/pppd    ( 1017): This system lacks kernel support for PPP.  This
could be because
E/pppd    ( 1017): the PPP kernel module could not be loaded, or
because PPP was not
E/pppd    ( 1017): included in the kernel configuration.  If PPP was
included as a
E/pppd    ( 1017): module, try `/sbin/modprobe -v ppp'.  If that
fails, check that
E/pppd    ( 1017): ppp.o exists in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/net.
E/pppd    ( 1017): See README.linux file in the ppp distribution for
more details.

however this is not true, because the kernel has PPP support and I
succeed in starting pppd from command line.

Me too suspects a permission problem, but I still haven't managed to
find a solution.

I have also another problem via pppd from command line: the interface
is up and connected but using a ping with numeric address (no dns
problem) doesn't work: it seems that I cannot receive data from ppp0
but I can send data because I see my ping packets going to the modem
(using a sniffer). Another strange thing is that LCP echo packets are
correctly sent and received, so I suspect again a permission problem.
I will open a new topic for that.

Daniele