I've been doing something similar for the Ziio 7. Also no luck with
the sources for the device but I'm using everything that's already
present with the device.

Step 1: get adb driver set up for it.

That means getting the adb driver to know that it should be installed
for this device and vendor id. Link for how they did it on ziio:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=882105

Step 2: root the device.
I used SuperOneClick for shell (adb) root and then worked my way from
there. You don't need perm root if you don't mind shell rooting it
every reboot.

Step 3: get back-ups of everything from the device.
This means getting the images from the mtd partitions. Ziio doesn't
use mtd so I had to look in /proc/partitions to see where everything's
at.
This is an important step as it may allow you to recover the kernel
and drivers for use with newer versions of the OS.

Step 4: get a way to restore your device to factory settings.
>From what I understand this will be a serious problem for you. This is
vendor dependent. Took me a while to find out what this was for the
ziio.

This is where reasonable advice ends and my noob attempts at hacking
this begin.

Step 5: doctoring the boot process to work with the old kernel (dump
the files from the emulator and use those).
Straightforward stuff on the ziio since the kernel is on it's own
partition away from the root mount point.
>From my limited understanding this is usually not the case and you
need access to the boot partition which is in a proprietary format to
access to init.rc & all.

As of last night I got my tablet in a boot loop. I'm now looking for a
good way to debug the boot process and see what's going on since I
can't adb to the device while it's in the loop.

Hope this helps.