Chris,

I'm usually connected to my development targets via UART/Serial port. When I
said disable all Android services (except ueventd and console) and reach to
a console prompt, I meant reach to the point where your minimal Android
(linux+ueventd+console) boots up and give you a prompt on your serial
terminal. From there you can start Android services manually one by one and
find out which one failed.

Hope I didn't confuse you much. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Regards,
Amit Pundir