Hi there,

I'm considering having a go at a backport of Stagefright sound
playback to earlier versions of Android (1.6 probably).

The goal would be to have a well-defined MediaPlayer supporting i.a.
HLS (ie stagefright a la Android 3+ - so I'm looking forward to the
release of the ICS source code, of course).

Why?
Because finding a reliable way to stream music across Android versions
using the built-in MediaPlayer have proven to be difficult (at least
for the music streams of the Danish National Broadcast - DR, for which
I currently run a test app at
https://market.android.com/details?id=dk.dr.radio.test2011
).

I'd like to publish some open source easy to use solution that others
with similar needs can use.

Looking at other music streaming apps, like TuneIn, I can see many
have taken the approach of having a port of ffmpeg and/or other sound
decoder libraries bundled as .so files.

But I suppose bundling a build of the stagefright player would also be
a possibility?

Any advise on choosing ffmpeg vs backporting stagefright?

Ive downloaded the source and looked at
https://github.com/android/platform_frameworks_base/tree/master/media/libstagefright
and figured out that while Stagefrigt is probably using the sound
system directly (ALSA, right?), this will not be possible from an app.
I'd have to define an audiosink that sends data thru an AudioTrack.

Any thougts, advice or comments on this?

Thanks in advance,

Jacob