Hi,

"D/Camera  ( 1033): app passed NULL surface" is the error log from the
Camera client (frameworks/base/libs/camera/....)which will communicate with
the Camera Service. This is message will ususally appear after some
instance of time , the actual surface will be set if there is a call from
Application to setPreviewDisplay with a proper surfaceholder.

Please read this :
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/hardware/Camera.html

Check in HAL, whether the proper Camera device is opened & you are able to
query the capabilities of the Camera Hardware.

If you doubt the functionality from kernel level (if you have time),
Do one check, have a C application which will communicate with the kernel &
dump the image frames onto framebuffer or to a file.

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Guennadi Liakhovetski <
g.liakhovet...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Porting android to a new platform I'm a bit stuck with the camera
> function. I'm getting an "Unfortunately, the Camera has stopped" dialog
> and these lines in the log
>
> D/Camera  ( 1033): app passed NULL surface
> W/dalvikvm( 1033): threadid=11: thread exiting with uncaught exception
> (group=0xb561b1f8)
> I/Process ( 1033): Sending signal. PID: 1033 SIG: 9
>
> What does that mean? Is the "app passed NULL surface" message really fatal
> for the camera application or is unrelated? If it is important - what can
> be the reason? I so far traced that NULL surface down to the
> surfaceChanged() callback in
> packages/apps/Camera/src/com/android/camera/Camera.java, which doesn't
> seem to be ever called, so, mSurfaceHolder is never set. What can that
> mean? A problem with the kernel framebuffer driver or with the camera HAL
> implementation?
>
> Thanks
> Guennadi
> ---
> Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.
> Freelance Open-Source Software Developer
> http://www.open-technology.de/

With care
Ramya