Hi Ramyan

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012, Ramya Mohan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> "D/Camera  ( 1033): app passed NULL surface" is the error log from the
> Camera client (frameworks/base/libs/camera/....)which will communicate with
> the Camera Service. This is message will ususally appear after some
> instance of time , the actual surface will be set if there is a call from
> Application to setPreviewDisplay with a proper surfaceholder.

Thanks for your reply. I verified with the emulated camera and it produces
the same message and it works, so, this message doesn't seem to be
critical.

> Please read this :
> http://developer.android.com/reference/android/hardware/Camera.html
>
> Check in HAL, whether the proper Camera device is opened & you are able to
> query the capabilities of the Camera Hardware.

Right, all that works, yesterday I got camera preview running on my
platform for the first time, so, I seem to be moving in the right
direction;-)

Thanks
Guennadi

> If you doubt the functionality from kernel level (if you have time),
> Do one check, have a C application which will communicate with the kernel &
> dump the image frames onto framebuffer or to a file.
>

> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Guennadi Liakhovetski <
> g.liakhovet...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > Porting android to a new platform I'm a bit stuck with the camera
> > function. I'm getting an "Unfortunately, the Camera has stopped" dialog
> > and these lines in the log
> >
> > D/Camera  ( 1033): app passed NULL surface
> > W/dalvikvm( 1033): threadid=11: thread exiting with uncaught exception
> > (group=0xb561b1f8)
> > I/Process ( 1033): Sending signal. PID: 1033 SIG: 9
> >
> > What does that mean? Is the "app passed NULL surface" message really fatal
> > for the camera application or is unrelated? If it is important - what can
> > be the reason? I so far traced that NULL surface down to the
> > surfaceChanged() callback in
> > packages/apps/Camera/src/com/android/camera/Camera.java, which doesn't
> > seem to be ever called, so, mSurfaceHolder is never set. What can that
> > mean? A problem with the kernel framebuffer driver or with the camera HAL
> > implementation?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Guennadi
> > ---
> > Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.
> > Freelance Open-Source Software Developer
> > http://www.open-technology.de/
> >
> > --

> With care
> Ramya