the ndc commands are required.  static/dynamic ip doesn't really affect
this and the setprop stuff is ignored.

Are you able to ping the dns servers from the device?  I believe the google
8.8.8.8 servers are pingable, so you could use them for this test.  Once
you find you can reach the servers, set them using ndc.  Note that the
format for setifdns is:
setifdns <iface> <domains> <dns1> <dns2> ..."
If you don't have a search domain use two spaces between <iface> and
<dns1>.  This could be the crux of your issue.