There is documentation about g_serial
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/usb/gadget_serial.txt, seems like
you need to use mknod at startup to create ttyGS device if you like to link
module statically in kernel

I looked throught your messages in thread and discovered that kernel uses
ttyHSL0 console though I never saw that type of serial device before, seems
like your device is based on Nexus platform. And what i found (here is the
link http://blog.ruecker.fi/2013/04/29/there-is-an-uart-on-the-nexus-4/) in
the internet tells me that probably your device uses headphones output for
serial console. So you will need to do something like this
http://www.accuvant.com/blog/building-a-nexus-4-uart-debug-cable which
requires some time to do it. So if I were in your place i would obtain more
information about serial ports in your device.