Hello, all,

I hope everyone is having a good holiday.  I receive so much holiday email
that to reciprocate is quite a task, but this year I thought I would make
the special effort to do just that, and to include a few folks I haven't
heard from in a while (and who haven't heard from me).

As Bilbo is so fond of saying, I don't know half of you half as well as I
should like; and I like less than half of you as well as you
deserve.  Well, something like that.  :)

As we conclude the first year of 2001, I can't help but remind myself that:

1) Powerful men such as Genghis Khan, Alexander the Great, and Julius
Caesar never knew the luxury of getting onto an airplane and flying across
the face of the Earth.  I, at least, have done better than them by that much.

2) Great inventors like Alexander Graham Bell and Thomas Alva Edison had to
build their conveniences from scratch.  I can drive over to Wal-Mart and
buy telephones and light bulbs, when I'm not watching DvDs on my computer.

3) People in the middle ages had to sit in hot, stuffy churches on Sunday
and listen to sermons delivered in a language they couldn't understand.  I
can sit on my couch, turn on the television, and watch preachers and news
commentators deliver incomprehensible lectures in modern English.

4) Nobody remembers the name of the "Beowulf" poet, although his poem
resonates through the centuries.  My name is indelibly etched in the
storage systems of thousands of computers around the world.

5) The ancient Romans sat on hard stone seats in open amphitheaters to
watch gladiatorial combat, and most of them never really got a good
view.   I get to see instant replay on Battle Bots.

6) Before there were cities, our ancestors used to walk across the
landscape without a care in the world, munching on nuts, fruits, and
whatever animals they could catch.  We get to drive across our countries
while consuming junk food and soft drinks in air conditioned vehicles they
would have thought belonged to the gods.

All in all, despite the terrible things which have befallen our
civilization in the past few months, it was not the worst year in which to
live.

Here's hoping the next one is even better.

--
  \\  //   Worlds of Imagination on the Web
   \\//           Science Fiction and Fantasy