On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Jacob Thebault-Spieker wrote:
> I did volunteer, but I didn't know I was officially a mentor. I've been
> looking through the bug reports, but I'm not sure I have the coding
> skills to fix them. On the most recent images in the autobuild, the
> collie won't even boot. It hangs about halfway through, and I didn't
> recognize any of the boot messages.

The device does boot, but yes, about halfway (judging by the progress bar on
the splashscreen) it hangs. Is there some simple key combo to get rid of the
splash screen so I can see what's going on underneath? (I don't have a serial
cable).

However, you can interrupt it at altboot, so the kernel is certainly booting
all the way through, it's something in userspace that is causing that issue.

> I tried reverting to .20 for kernel,
> using the new images, and that didn't do anything. I'm not sure as to
> what's causing the error.

Ooh... where did you get the .20 kernel from? Is it one of the ones in
autobuild? They aren't tagged with any info further than build date so I've
no idea what they are.

> Like I said, I haven't doing that much, because I didn't know the
> status. I've been assuming that collie won't be supported in the next
> release, because of a number of issues. Am I mistaken?

I hope so! :-)
The fact that we have had a working 2.6 with SD at all was a major
acheivement, something that we all thought would be in all likelyhood,
forever impossible just a  year or two ago. I would certainly like to see the
5x00 Zaurii become a supported Angstrom device, and I think there are a few
more of us around still. Assuming they stand up to the rigours of time, these
devices are also going to start showing up in the hands of some people who
can't afford a fancy new pda (or full PC for whatever reason) so having a
modern, supported system for them to install and use is going to be a great
thing for the future of Angstrom as well. Ok... getting a bit ahead of myself
now :-)

--
Regards,
        Ashley J Gittins