Paul Eggleton schreef:
| Koen Kooi wrote:
|> +1 under one condition: remove the merge_feeds crap from opie image
|> recipes. Opie has no business poking in operating system files that are
|> under packagemanagement. Furthermore, /etc/ipkg/* will be re-populated
|> once people do 'ipkg upgrade', so you're back to square one.
|
| Actually this is the first time I'm aware of such behaviour, and at face
| value I would have to agree with you in that it should not be doing the
| merging - if Opie-aqpkg has a problem here then it ought to be fixed
| itself rather than trying to work around it using this hack.
|
| However, if I am not mistaken this might have something to do with
| allowing users to easily enable/disable feeds.

Users can still do that by putting a '#' in front of the line in any of
the /etc/ipkg/*-feed.conf files, or delete the file in question, but it
will come back on upgrade. angstrom-feed-config.ipk marks those files as
CONFFILE, so edits are preserved, deletions/moves aren't.

| Of course we could
| accomplish the same thing without having to have the files merged
| together, but arguably if it shouldn't be modifying those files at build
| time then it shouldn't be doing it any time afterwards either. If users
| legitimately

There is no legitimate use/need for that. If people insist on 'One
Conffile To Rule Them All' they should also cat together /etc/init.d/*
for consistency.

| want/need to do that though then we have a bit of a conflict.
| Given Angstrom's feed structure is this something you now consider
| unnecessary?

It has always been unnecessary, it was only done because aqpkg was
broken beyond repair. For some years now (oz, familiar, angstrom feeds),
you could only get aqpkg by 'ipkg install aqpkg', which doesn't care for
feed structure.

| For now I am happy to just do as you say and rip out that stuff from
| opie-image.bb. I will prepare a patch for that this weekend if nobody else
| gets to it before me.

The biggest problem with merge_feeds is that 'ipkg install
task-opie-stuf-for-image' on e.g. console image creates something
different as IMAGE_INSTALL = "task-base task-opie-stuf-for-image' in an
opie-image recipe. That's a QA nightmare. It's at the same level as
catting together the initscripts as I mentioned above.
Image the outcry if KDE insisted on moving /etc/apt/sources.list to
/etc/sources/apt.list on debian based distros because apt-Ket was
broken[1]...

regards,

Koen

[1] Or conversely GNOME deleting sources.list since it would only
confuse your grandma.

- --
[EMAIL PROTECTED] will go go away in december 2007, please
use [EMAIL PROTECTED] instead.