Thank you for replying Kelly.

My team just got another beagleboard so I tried to look into the log files.

I plugged in a USB to serial cable and connected my beagle-board to my
computer. I ran screen to access the board.

When I cd'd into /var/log/ I was transplanted to a /var/volatile/log
directory, there was no syslog directory nor were there any Xorg.*.log
files.

What were there was:
cores
lastlog