Thank you for the quick response, Sander. I have updated my directive to
match your fiddle but I am having similar results... chart is not rendering
due to $scope.model.data values being undefined.

Since I last posted the fiddle the returned object has changed to the
following for both $resource calls:
{
    "type": "count",
    "data": [50]
}

When I reference $scope.getCount.data[0] and $scope.getCountGET.data[0] I
receive the following error in the console: *TypeError: Cannot read
property '0' of undefined*

I also see that the data property in $scope.model.data is undefined when I
console log ($scope.model) and inspect the returned object.

This is what makes me wonder if the directive is firing before the
$resource call returns and then fails to update once the model changes.