Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > OK, I'm getting there. More in line:

    >> 1) Registrar accepts any Lx1 as local.  There is no precedent in v6
    >> APIs to open such a socket, but this actually supported on many
    >> platforms.  It's used for nasty stuff like transparent application
    >> layer proxies, forced HTTP proxying, and the like.

    > I think there's a more subtle way to look at it. When the registrar
    > receives a protocol 41 packet from a new ACP address, it conceptually
    > synthesises a new virtual interface and assigns Lx1 as its link local
    > address. On that interface, things would look normal. Thus RFC2473:

I can buy this.
It argues that the Proxy should send a gratuitous packet to the Registrar to
prime that virtual interface.  An ICMP echo request perhaps.

How can we document this well?

    >> 3) We have the Registrar tell the proxy an Lx value to use.  I chose
    >> to put this option into the protocol, because we can always set Lx=
    >> Lanycast in the future, and perhaps we can set it to :: if we want
    >> case (1).

    > I like this least of all. What happens if there are multiple
    > registrars?  And when a proxy node comes up as a pledge, it must give
    > itself a LL address on each interface before it even tries to perform
    > its own BRSKI, and before it looks for its own proxy and joins the

Yeah, you are right, this doesn't work if there are multiple registrars.

]     m...@sandelman.ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [