On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 12:02:25PM +0000, mohamed.boucad...@orange.com wrote:
> Hi Toerless,
>
> The new version looks much more better. Thanks.

Great.

> Some comments about these two minor point:
>
> - "IPv4 to IPv6 NAT can be used." - Do you mean RFC7915
>   I intentionally did not want to elaborate on the details of which of the
> 15? different
>   NAT options can be used best. When i worked on this, i got a working setup
> with NAT-PT and i think
>   also NAT64 statefull (RFC6146). This was mostly driven by whatever old
> router OS versions
>   where available.Also your note re. rfc7757. The main issue is that the
> stateless translations would
>   require matching address structures in he ACP, and i certainly would not
> want to fudge the ACP design
>   to support NAT better. Rather use some horrific NAT option. That should
> even accelerate pushing IPv6
>   into NOC/OAM equipment.
>
>   So, i didn't add any pointers to those RFCs you mentioned. I think its good
> if this is
>   left as an exercise to the reader ;-)
>
> Med: Fair. Please change "IPv4 to IPv6 NAT can be used" to "IPv4 to IPv6
> translation can be used" because it is more than "Address" translation.

Please check out the just posted -05. After Brian also complained about the use
of NAT i
gave in (aka: both you and brians desire to get this redone where critical mass
;-)).

There should now be no use of "NAT" in the doc, instead SIIT and EAM and how we
would suggest to build a solution with them for ACP connect (aka: suggetions for
prefixes to be mapped via EAM), but that the details of the solution are out of
scope.

> - "I'm afraid NoO " - i did not get that.
>
> Med: This was related to this part of your text:
>
> ==
>    Overall, the use of NAT is especially subject to the RoI (Return of
>    Investment) considerations,
> ========
>
> The reasoning about NAT and RoI may seem to be intuitive, but I'm afraid it
> does not reflect the deployment reality. The use of NAT may even come for
> free or be a function of the traffic and so on.
> I would delete the mention of RoI.

Well, i did not mean to imply that NAT/SIIT would be too expensive to deploy, i
rather
wanted to be neutral because i too had a customer that said "i am happy to use
NAT
when you give me a working recipe". Which i was able to do. But i also do not
want
to promote this of course.

If you could suggest any better text to keep the balance, i'd happliy take it
;-)

Cheers
    Toerless

> Cheers,