My name is Patrick Freeman and I'm currently a master's student from
Stanford University interning with a conservation research organization in
South Africa. I've been tasked with using a database of VHF telemetry data
and GPS collar readings from the regional population of black rhinos to
develop a working knowledge of their home ranges, home range overlap and
habitat usage. The organization here employs QGIS to do all of their map
work and thus I've learned how to use the program as much as I can over the
past month. However, I'm still completely blind to the workings of Python,
etc.

I am desperately trying to get the kernel density estimation tool in the
Animove plugin in the Sextante toolbox to work but it simply won't appear.
I've read plenty on various different sites that this is a result of a
missing SciPy package. I have downloaded the SciPy package for Mac but
don't know how to install it properly to my QGIS directory. I'm currently
using a Mac OSx (Lion) and I'm working with QGIS 1.8. I *believe* my Python
is version 2.7, but I'm not entirely sure how to check it properly (again,
I'm new to QGIS and the world of Python). I have spent several weeks
combing the Internet for help with this issue to no avail despite there
being plenty of information about how to make this plugin work for the
Windows version of QGIS. I was wondering if I went straight to the source I
could potentially get a little assistance with getting the KDE to be
functional for the plugin? Paolo has graciously directed me to this
conversation (
http://lists.faunalia.it/pipermail/animov/2013-August/001113.html) but it
is again more focused on the Windows installation process. I am just
worried that if I try to reinstall a developer version of QGIS that I'll
screw up a bunch of the work that I've already done on this project/make my
computer implode so I want to make sure what I'm doing is correct. This
black rhino project is of urgent importance to the conservation managers in
this area given the spike in rhino poaching incidents in the area so I
thank you in advance for any and all support!

Cheers,

Patrick Freeman

--
Patrick T. Freeman