Thanks for the feedback guys. Michael, you're right that I was talking
about controlling Linux VMs FROM a Windows machine. (Sorry for the mention
of the other tools - was just clarifying that I didn't do what other
Vagrant users seem to do in a similar situation.)

As Michael and Brian suggested, I could indeed install a Linux VM to
provision the other VMs. It honestly didn't occur to me, maybe because I am
too new to all of this, and maybe because it felt like one too many
turtles, but it is "clean".

I ended up doing what Brian suggested (before I had the benefit of his
reply). If I'm installing a provisioning a Linux box on a Windows host (or
a Mac host that hasn't installed Ansible), I run a script to install
Ansible on the VM and then tell it to run ansible-playbook from within the
VM in local mode. Worked like a champ.
If anyone else is interested, I posted my resultant scripts
here: https://github.com/Taytay/vagrant-ansible-postgres

Thanks everyone.

Taylor