How about keep your default variables in roles/vars/main.yml and then for
variables that would be considered special case or overrides you put them
elsewhere with higher precedence. For your RHEL 5 example, take a look at
http://docs.ansible.com/playbooks_variables.html#conditional-imports and
you could use something similar like
vars/{{  ansible_lsb.id }}_{{ ansible_lsb.major_release }}.yml  where you'd
populate the RedHat_5.yml file with any of the variables you need
overridden (my variable names/values might need some checking though).

Brian