"syslog: "{% if ansible_distribution_version|truncate(1,true,'') >= '6'
%}rsyslog{% else %}syslog{% endif %}""

That's super gross IMHO... I would not want to see that in *anyone's*
playbooks as that goes against much of the simplicity that Ansible seeks to
achieve.

You may wish to read about the include_vars module in the module index, or
group_by.

Please please please please please :)

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 2:21 AM, Adam Morris <zwack...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, January 13, 2014 10:43:38 PM UTC-8, bryan hunt wrote:
>>
>> I had no idea that was possible, I've been using all sorts of kludges to
>> achieve the same.
>>

> Me too, but I'm becoming more familar with Jinja2, and it really does make
> a lot of this simpler when you can get it to work the way that you want.  I
> had a question about setting variables differently for different versions
> of RedHat, and Brian Green suggested a nice attempt with multiple
> variables, and setting the value of one variable to a different one
> selected dynamically... In the end my final (Jinja2) answer was derived
> from that concept but was much neater...
>
> my group_vars/RedHat file now contains this...
>
> syslog: "{% if ansible_distribution_version|truncate(1,true,'') >= '6'
> %}rsyslog{% else %}syslog{% endif %}"
>
> which sets the syslog variable correctly for RedHat depending on the
> distribution version.  The same role can also handle AIX for me, and
> without having to create three similar tasks (two for RedHat variants and
> one for AIX).
>
> My one bit of advice from stuff I have learned in the last week would be
> that as well as the Ansible documentation it is worth looking through the
> Jinja2 documentation particularly...
> http://jinja.pocoo.org/docs/templates/ and the Expressions, Built-in
> Filters and Built-in Tests sections.  There are some additional filters
> documented in Ansible's documentation, but the built-in ones are also
> useful.
>
> I hope that this helps,
>
> Adam

Michael DeHaan <mich...@ansibleworks.com>