On 06/12/14 02:42, Chris Hoffman wrote:
> Ok, well I did track down the issue into the delegate code in the core
> runner.  By forcing the transport to local, this resolved the issue.
>  It appears all the delegate logic deals with hostvars to make the
> determination on transport to use.  I spent some time digging into the
> action plugin and couldn't figure out if you can override hostvars
> there or if that would have other residual effects.  This also could
> be an issue with the core runner since I believe when you delegate to
> localhost that it should force a local transport.
>
> One thing I forgot to note was the synchronize plugin worked great
> when working with vagrant.  In that case, the connection was properly
> set to local when running the synchronize plugin.  Since vagrant runs
> on localhost, maybe the fuzzy logic worked correctly here.  I'll see
> if I can dig in some more but the override in the inventory did the
> trick in my case which presumably is due to the transport in hostvars
> being properly set.

For local actions, as well as for the local part of a synchronize task,
Ansible should force the connection to local only if it has not been
explicitly set by the user (by having set the 'ansible_connection'
hostvar). However, this requires that the current implementation allows
to determine whether an option's current value has been set explicitly
by the user or set by code due to a default policy. I am not sure if
that distinction is currently possible.