I know your thoughts on ansible-lint - that the behaviour should be
integrated into core. But my pull request to do something along those lines
has been open for 8 months https://github.com/ansible/ansible/pull/5123

ansible-lint provides a way of enforcing locally applicable standards - for
example, we use it to warn against using Ansible as a build tool, among
other things.

Anyway, to focus on the main points you make.

My understanding is that ansible galaxy role versions matter at install
time. I guess that means that each playbook installs the roles locally.
This means that the problem of using one role version for uat and one role
version for prod is not necessarily solved is it?

I assume there are existing discussions on using repos other than github -
I'll have to look into this. I'm definitely keen to avoid reinventing any
wheels if I can.

To be clear, I'm not particularly concerned about the versioning of Ansible
itself, just that the same playbook can reference different roles.

Will