That seems reasonable, especially if skipping hg/git if not installed,
though I'm guessing that's maybe *not* as easy for ssh:// git?

Just trying to think aloud whether specifying the protocol is a good idea.
 I'm thinking it might be, and it would save some network activity on long
resource lists as well.

What about:

for basic files:

rolename,version # implies galaxy