On host1 (where it works)
drwxr-xr-x 2 remoteuser users       4096 Sep 12 13:21
ansible-tmp-1410553290.83-203438518100770

tmp/ansible-tmp-1410553290.83-203438518100770:
total 164
-rw------- 1 remoteuser users 163033 Sep 12 13:21 setup

On host2 (where it doesn't work)
drwxr-xr-x 2 remoteuser users       4096 Sep 12 11:26
ansible-tmp-1410546380.19-138456709998536

# ll tmp/ansible-tmp-1410546380.19-138456709998536
total 0

Like I saw before, the perms are the same.

I initially thought it could be a misconfigured sftp configuration line in
the sshd_config. But the two configs are identical.

Hmm... I did check sudo config in the UI, but I haven't tried visudo yet.
Maybe that'll show something...