Hi Stephen

First of all, thanks a lot. Your changes however did not solve my second
case, the one using 'default' on inventory variables. So I guess some more
tweaking is required. I'd love to help btw.

Something is also weird about your pull request - it's not in its own
branch, which makes it more difficult to pull to my repo (I had to copy the
individual files manually!).  I put them in a branch in my fork if you
want: https://github.com/hkariti/ansible/tree/premature_template_vars