Okay, I just repeated the error on a recently-built CentOS 7.0.1406 machine
that is on my physical network, not an AWS machine.

 "ansible_distribution": "CentOS",
        "ansible_distribution_major_version": "7",
        "ansible_distribution_release": "Core",
        "ansible_distribution_version": "7.0.1406",

When I run it with both machines:
PLAY [ipaservers]

GATHERING FACTS
<obfuscatedip2> REMOTE_MODULE setup
<obfuscatedip5> REMOTE_MODULE setup
ok: [obfuscatedip2]
ok: [obfuscatedip5]

TASK: [ansible-ipaserver | Hard set the hostname]
*****************************
<obfuscatedip2> REMOTE_MODULE hostname
name=obfuscatedhostname2.my.domain.edu
<obfuscatedip5> REMOTE_MODULE hostname
name=ip-172-31-23-203.us-west-2.compute.internal
failed: [obfuscatedip2] => {"failed": true}
msg: hostname module cannot be used on platform Linux (Centos linux)
failed: [obfuscatedip5] => {"failed": true}
msg: hostname module cannot be used on platform Linux (Centos linux)

FATAL: all hosts have already failed -- aborting

Reading through the module code, it seems I am getting dumped right into
UnimplementedStrategy class, but I don't understand yet how it's deciding
which OS and distribution version it's looking at, before getting to the
UnimplementedStrategy. It's the first Ansible module that I've ever looked
at under the hood.

Joanna