Perhaps. I'll probably build both and see which feels better. I need to be
able to set vars for the plugin/module to use that might be different for
each playbook. The callback_plugins have access to vars through the
'invocation' in res, right? I'll also need access to all of the diffs, so
I'll need to capture and then reference them in on_stat.

All other things being equal, this may come down to style and which
playbook is easiest for people to understand and work with. Of course, most
likely, in either case, my playbook would probably look something like
this, no matter which option I choose:

---
  vars:
    config_mgmt:
      opt1: val1
      opt2: val2
      opt3: val3

  roles:
  - { 'role':'config_mgmt','setup_vars':config_mgmt }