I tried using the wrong password on purpose. But that had no affect, and
the problem was reproducible.  I tried changing the port to 5984.  This
produced a different error.  The time it takes before failing is longest
when I use port 5986.  So I think I should use port 5986.

Where do I create the directory groups_var?  I want to put windows.yml in
there.  I have in my /etc/ansible/hosts file certain entries like
ansible_ssh_user, ansible_ssh_password, etc.  Ansible's documentation
recommends that these entries go into a windows.yml file in a groups_var
directory.  I don't know how my playbooks or my inventory file
(/etc/ansible/hosts) would refer to this windows.yml file.  I wouldn't
expect it to be magically invoked when I run a playbook.  I tried using
Ansible's recommended "field:" format.  But this produced errors.  I have
better luck when I assign ansible_ssh_user, ansible_ssh_password etc. with
"=" equals signs in my /etc/ansible/hosts file.  The colon separator didn't
help me.