As Jon said, first port of call is to read the windows documentation. When
I started I also read the best practise guide here -
http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/playbooks_best_practices.html - This
contains the recommended file structure of your ansible setup.

My group_vars is at the same level as the hosts file. So my hosts file is
/etc/ansible/hosts and my groups_vars are all located in
/etc/ansible/group_vars.

In 1.9 my windows creds are setup like below (with ansible_ssh_)

ansible_ssh_user:
ansible_ssh_pass:
ansible_ssh_port: 5986
ansible_connection: winrm
# The following is necessary for Python 2.7.9+ when using default WinRM
self-signed certificates:
ansible_winrm_server_cert_validation: ignore

Also I configure WinRM on the windows hosts for remote powershelling. In
the windows guide there's a link to the ps1 script to run on your windows
hosts to get you started -
https://github.com/ansible/ansible/blob/devel/examples/scripts/ConfigureRemotingForAnsible.ps1