Every item in group_vars/ is named to match a group name. These items can
be either files (my_group, my_group.yml) or directories (my_group/). If it
is a directory, then it works similarly to a .d/ directory where all of the
files in that dir are imported.

These are equivilent structures:

1. One file:
group_vars/group1.yml
---
var1: val1
var2: val2

2. One Directory:
group_vars/group1/arbitrary_file1.yml
---
var1: val1

group_vars/group1/arbitrary_file2.yml
---
var2: val2

In my playbooks, I tend to make the all group a dir so that I can better
organize those vars and use the filenames as a sort of documentation or
comment.
group_vars/
├── all
│   ├── defaults.yml
│   ├── definitions.yml
│   ├── lookups.yml
│   ├── servers.yml
│   └── users.yml
├── arista.yml

I have also found it best to keep sensitive vars in separate files (whether
or not I encrypt them in a vault) using the group_vars dir structure.

My problem with vault is that you need the password to unlock it and if you
are checking things into git, then everyone has to use the same password to
unlock the vault, so now you have to deal with how to tell people what that
password is and what to do when it changes, etc.

So, in my playbooks, I store sensitive vars in a secure datastore where I
can control who has access to read and write. Then, instead of locking the
vars in a vault, I use a lookup which is able to use the local user's
personal creds for auth.

e.g.
group_vars/all/lookups.yml
---
## Vars I don't want to store in git
enpass: "{{ lookup('hss', 'enpass', objid='ans_vars.json') }}"
snmpro: "{{ lookup('hss', 'snmpro', objid='ans_vars.json') }}"